Sunday, February 18, 2018

Press Conference Speech on Valentine's Day

Steve's wife's talk at the press conference 2/14/18. I highlighted the part that feels so powerfully simple and instructive, laying out the precious joys of a life without having to be scattered. I don't have a sense of who should get this; can you forward it on, please? Thanks!  Scott


----------

Good morning everyone, and welcome to the Last Chance Village. My name is Michele and I've been a resident of the Last Chance Village since it opened in November. I've been homeless off and on here in Santa Rosa for almost 11 years now. In that time, there hasn't been anything like Last Chance Village.

Before I go any further, let me say this. Just because something went wrong in our lives doesn't mean that we are all dirty, drug addicted, alcoholic, or worthless people. A major bump in the road has prevented us from having all the things that you people still have– does that make us all the things you call us? Do you deserve to feel the way you do about us?

Answer me this: what would you do if you lost everything in life, and you became homeless tomorrow? Anything can happen, at any time. Remember the next time you see a homeless person: that could be you.

Just because we are homeless doesn't mean we are any different than you. We like to do the same things most others do; why are we asked to leave? I don't totally understand why you feel the way you do about the homeless, that we're dirty, or smelly, or always leaving garbage and messes around. That is just wrong and disrespectful. With the many resources the homeless have here in Santa Rosa, there is no reason to be dirty, or smelly, or hungry, or leave garbage around. And for those people who do, I apologize.

Last Chance Village has been a blessing to have. Being homeless is a very hard life. You have to carry your belongings everywhere you go. Trying to find a place to hide it all, and finding a spot to camp isn't easy. If you're not careful, your stuff can get stolen or thrown away. You can also get a ticket for illegal camping or obstructing the sidewalk. And now you can get arrested for having to live on the streets!

Come on! Really? How hard is it to realize that something bad happened in that person's life, and they lost their home? We are human, just like you. We weren't born homeless; we didn't ask to be. Honestly, none of us wanted this to happen– but it has, and we are trying to better ourselves. and work on getting back what we lost.

For me, the Last Chance Village has been where I feel that maybe I can get the start I've needed. I can leave my things here and know that they will still be there when I get back. Knowing that I won't be harassed and woke up by the police and have to pack up and move. I can sit with friends and talk and not get asked to move or leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment